Sky Connect Sales & Marketing Code of Practice
This code of practice (hereafter referred to as ‘the Code’) governs activity related to the selling and the marketing of the Sky Connect telephony service. The Code is designed to ensure that all individuals to which such selling or marketing is directed receive protection over and above that provided by the law, and to reinforce best practice and responsible selling by our representatives. The Code provides a clear framework to which all Sky Connect sales Executives must adhere. Sky Connect Sales Executives are referred to throughout the Code as ‘Executives’.
Compliance, or non-compliance, with the Code does not affect compliance with any legal requirement or the validity of any contract between Sky Connect and its customers, unless otherwise provided by law.
2. Sales, marketing advertising and promotion
2.1 At all times Executives should act responsibly and in compliance with the Code and all other applicable laws and regulations.
2.2 Prior to contacting customers, details should be checked for registration on relevant preference services, including the Mailing Preference Service, the Telephone Preference Service and the E Mail Preference Service.
2.3 All Sky Connect advertising and promotion should comply with the British Codes of Advertising and Sales Promotion. In particular it should be clear, unambiguous, accurate, fair, containing no false or misleading information about price, value or service and should not denigrate other telephony providers.
3. Recruitment and sales training
3.1 Executives involved in direct contact with customers for the purposes of selling or marketing the product will be recruited and trained in accordance with Ofcom guidelines and current employment legislation Recruitment:
In recruiting sales staff we have regard to:
• behaviour and appearance;
• security; and
• evidence of mis-selling or lack of integrity in any previous selling employment
In addition we require:
• Executives to provide proof of their NI number, proof of address and two references;
• A retention of a copy of the Executives sales records for a minimum of 6 months after they have left the company and the return of any identification badges.
Once Executives are recruited we endeavour to ensure that they're trained so as to have sufficient understanding that any relevant advice they give is not misleading. Topics covered in training include:
• how competition in telecommunications works in the UK;
• what telephone services Sky Connect provides and how these differ from other competitive telecoms products;
• the process of ordering the telephone service;
• the relevant principles of consumer protection law;
• Sky Connect's prices and other terms and conditions of service and, in particular, methods of payment, duration of contract and any termination fees;
• the nature, and cost, of any additional services on offer;
• the process for cancelling the contract both during the cooling-off period and at any time following commencement of the service; and
• the procedure for handling customer complaints
3.2 The remuneration system for Executives is such as not to encourage misleading or exploitative sales practices. Further Sky Connect requires that agencies it employs for sales and marketing inform it of any incentive schemes they may from time to time introduce.
3.3 Responsibility for all Sky Connect representatives complying with the Code lies with Sky Connect. Our designated person responsible for ensuring we and our Executives observe the Code is: Alastair Hosie Operational Compliance Manager Carnegie Campus Dunfermline Fife KY11 8GH Telephone: 01383 814000 Email: ARHosie-Compliance@bskyb.com
4. Customer Contact
4.1 No Executive should contact any customer outside the hours of 08:00 to 21:00, unless specifically asked to do so by the customer.
4.2 At the outset of a sales call, Executives should state their name, the fact they are calling on behalf of Sky Connect, the purpose of the call, and the approximate likely duration.
4.3 When engaging with the customer, all Executives should be courteous, use appropriate language and offer clear and straightforward explanations and convey information accurately. Executives should ensure that customers entering into contracts understand, and intend them.
4.4 Executives should end contact with any person who indicates that the contact is inconvenient, unwelcome, inappropriate or too long.
4.5 Sky Connect operates a vulnerable customer policy to ensure that the trust of vulnerable customers is not abused. During telephony contact, or on any other occasion where there is no face to face contact, Executives should not progress a sale where they believe that the particular customer was not capable, at the time of the contact, of making an informed decision as to whether or not to enter into the sale.
4.6 No sales activity should be undertaken to those who are under the legal age for entering into contracts.
4.7 Sales and marketing campaign records should be retained for six months to assist in dealing with any related complaint or query.
5. Entry into a contract
5.1 Executives will be instructed to take reasonable steps to ensure that on each occasion that a sales call is made, the customer has authority to enter into the Sky Connect contract, should they so wish.
5.2 Where an Executive has made a direct sales approach and a sale has been agreed, we will send you in writing clear information on:
- • Sky Connect’s appropriate contact details including telephone and email address.
- • A full description of the telephone package chosen, how it works, costs involved and payment details
- • The arrangements for the provisioning of Sky Connect, including the order process and the expected date of activation
- • The right to cancel and the process for doing so
5.3 Customers may cancel their Sky Connect order or contract by telephone, in writing or by email.
5.4 Customers have the right to cancel their Sky Connect order, at no cost, between the time the order is submitted, and the time it becomes active on their account.
6. Consumer protection and other legal requirements
6.1 All Sky Connect sales and marketing procedures should comply with all applicable legislation.
7.1 Sky Connect will endeavour to carry out regular audits of systems, procedures and documentation to ensure compliance with all aspects of the Code.
8. Awareness of the Code
8.1 The Code to be available to Customers on request, free of charge and in a reasonable range of formats, and is also available on b2b.sky.com.
8.2 This Code is also available at the head office of the Citizens Advice Bureau, Myddelton House, 115-123 Pentonville Road, London N1 9LZ.
Last updated: 24 March 2021