Set up your Sky Broadband Hub and Voice Hub
For best speeds and stability available to your premises, connect your Sky Broadband Hub to your master phone socket. It’s usually where the phone line comes into your premises. Look for a socket that has a line in the middle, a BT/Openreach logo on it or a socket that's thicker than the others.
You should connect your self-install Sky Broadband Hub and Voice Hub at the earliest opportunity. Your call features may take up to an hour to go live after you’ve connected your hubs and your service has been activated.
1. Before you start, check your activation date.
Your broadband won’t work until it’s been activated, so wait until then before setting up your Sky Broadband and Voice Hubs. It can go live anytime up to midnight on your activation date.
Not sure of your activation date? Check your welcome email or sign in to My Account to track your order.
2. Position your new Sky Broadband and Voice Hubs.
Where you put your hubs can affect the quality of your WiFi signal and service. For the clearest signal:
- Keep them unobstructed – not in a cabinet, on the floor or stuck behind the TV. About 30cm of space is best.
- Keep them away from non-WiFi wireless devices like cordless phones.
- Try to put your hubs near the devices which you use most to connect to the internet – your signal is stronger near your Broadband Hub.
- Don’t put one hub on top of the other – they need to sit side by side for best WiFi performance.
3. Set up your Sky Broadband Hub
Unplug everything that’s already connected to your master phone socket.
If you have a phone socket with one port: Plug the white end of the grey cable into the master socket and the purple end into the purple port on your Sky Broadband Hub.
If you have a phone socket with two ports:
- Plug the white end of the black cable into the top or left-hand socket and the purple end into the purple port on your Sky Broadband Hub.
- Plug the blue end of the power cable into the blue port on the Sky Broadband Hub. Then plug the other end into the mains and switch on. All the lights should go green after a few minutes and you’re ready to set up your Voice Hub.
Tip: When cables are all bunched together it can cause electrical interference and can slow your devices down. Keep your cables tangle free.
4. Set up your Voice Hub (Audiocodes Mediant 500 Li 8 Port ATA)
- Plug one end of the blue Ethernet cable into the blue WAN port on the back of your Voice Hub. Then plug the other end into one of the yellow Ethernet ports on the back of your Broadband Hub.
- Plug the mains cable into the power socket on the Voice Hub and the other end into the mains. Switch it on. The Power, Status and GE lights on the front of the Voice Hub should all go green after a few minutes.
Tip: If your phones have a BT plug, they need to be plugged into the RJ11 adapter supplied to connect to your Voice Hub. If you need more adapters, contact us.
Plug your phone lines into the phone ports on the back of your Voice Hub.
- If you have only one phone line: Plug it into the bottom left phone port.
- If you have 2-4 phone lines: Only use the bottom four phone ports.
Tip: Remember, your voice service works through the internet, so your phones won’t work if they’re plugged into the wall phone sockets. Phones need to be plugged into the back of your Voice Hub. IP phones are not designed to work with the service.
The phone light is on orange and the phone line is not working on my Sky Broadband Hub
Make sure your equipment is connected correctly (check the manufacturer’s instructions that came with it). Switch off the Sky Broadband Hub at the mains and leave disconnected for ten minutes. Plug the hub in and switch it on again. If the issue persists, get in touch.
My broadband service is not working
Check to see what lights are appearing on your Sky Broadband Hub.
- Internet light is green – Could be a WiFi issue. Check that your wireless devices are connected via WiFi.
- Internet light is off or is amber – Switch off the Sky Broadband Hub at the mains and leave disconnected for ten minutes. Plug in and turn it on again.
If the issue persists, get in touch.
My Sky Broadband Hub has no power light on
Check your power socket isn’t faulty by plugging your Sky Broadband Hub into another power socket. Or try another 12v power adaptor if you have one. If the issue persists, get in touch.
My Sky Broadband Hub is only showing the power light
It can take a few minutes for all the lights to appear on your Sky Broadband Hub. If they’re still not coming on after this time, switch your Sky Broadband Hub off at the mains, wait for ten minutes and then switch it on again. If your Power, Internet and Wireless lights still don’t come on, get in touch. (The Voice light is not used by Sky Connect).
My Sky Broadband Hub is showing the internet and phone lights as amber
Your Sky Broadband Hub is trying to sync with our equipment at the exchange and this is normal – it can take a few minutes for the lights to turn green. If the internet and phone lights are stuck on amber, switch your Broadband Hub off at the mains, wait for ten minutes and then switch it on again. If the lights still don’t turn green, get in touch.
I can hear a crackling noise when using the phone
Check your phone handset as this problem is usually related to hardware. If you’re using any filters then consider replacing them as dust particles and static gathered on the filters can cause interference.